A Study Permit is the document that allows an international student to be in Canada and study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Canadian education is ranked highly all over the world and therefore Canada is a very popular destination for international students. This article will answer all your questions about the Canada Study Permit.

How to get a Study Permit

To get a study permit, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • You must apply to and secure admission in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Designated Learning institutions are schools or institutions approved by provincial or territorial governments to accept international students. While all primary and secondary schools are designated, a list of all post-secondary DLIs can be found here.
  • You must provide proof of sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees as well as living and transportation expenses for you and your family members traveling with you to Canada.
  • You may have to provide a police certificate and/or take a basic medical examination.
  • You must prove that you will return to your home country after your Study Permit expires.

Requirements during studies in Canada

While on a Study Permit, you need to:

  • Always be enrolled in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • Make progress towards completing your academic program
  • Respect the conditions outlined in the Study Permit
  • Stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements
  • Return to your home country when the permit expires

Can family members accompany you while you are on Study Permit

A spouse or common-law partner may be able to get an open work permit to work in Canada while you complete your studies. Children accompanying you may be able to study in Canadian elementary or secondary schools.

Can you work while on a Study Permit

You are eligible to work for upto 20 hours part-time while on a study permit and attending a post-secondary program. If you want to work in Canada after your program or participate in the work placement process, you will need to apply for a Work Permit

Study Permit to Permanent Residency

After completing your studies, you may be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) which allows you to work in Canada for upto 3 years. Many students enter Canada on a Study Permit and get work after completing their studies. They then apply for permanent residency based on their academic and work experience utilizing various available options.

Covid-19 Changes and Restrictions

The normal process of obtaining and living in Canada on a Study Permit has been outlined above. However, there have been significant changes in the processing of applications due to Covid-19. All these changes can be found here.


For help on how to apply for a Study Permit and subsequent Post-Graduate Work Permit as well as to discuss the latest changes in the process, you can contact Now Immigration’s specialized consultants here and ask to speak about the Study Permit.

Add Your Comment